Nov 22, 2011

I Am Sick Not A Culprit

Afghanistan, the world's leading producer of opium and heroin, is also facing a major and growing problem with drug abuse, the UNODC survey Drug Use in Afghanistan reveals. The survey shows that around 1 million Afghans between the ages of 15 to 64 are addicted to drugs.

The rate of drug addiction in Afghanistan is twice the global average, according to a new United Nations report that also shows Afghans have become the leading consumers of their own opium.

Here is the story of my brother who is a drug addict since four years ago:

“I was in my tailing shop that he came up. He is still one of my best friend to whom I talk and spend my time. He was drunk and had a bottle of wine in his bag back. He asked me to have a sip of it. I did so and found it very interesting and delicious at first.”

“He forced me to go with him somewhere for some refreshment. He was claiming that the air in my shop is drippy. I agreed to go with him. We took a taxi and headed toward Pul e Sukhta – where now is best known as the center of drug addicts in Kabul. When we got there, the killing and choking smell of smoke stifled me.” Now he is crying loudly.

He added:” and then I didn’t know what happened. I smoke for the first time. It made me vomiting. Day by day I used to use drugs to lessen the pain of my body while in first days I felt comfortable and worry-free person. Now I know that all I did was wrong.”

“by the way, I would like not to use drug anymore because I have a family and a kid. I love my wife and my little boy. They are the only people about whom I am concerned. If they were not I would be worried. Now I want to heal and I want to leave smoking. I don’t want my kid to become like me – somebody who is nothing but a burden for the society. The big problem in this regard is that there is no place for me to be hospitalized in. I know there are some places but they say we would accept you after six months – if I have connection there.”

I went most of the centers in which they train drug addicts how to leave the drug, but they need connection. As far as I know there are six centers in Kabul that teach addicts how to leave drugs. They have a one month or two month program. And there is only two centers over two months: one is located in Karte 3 and the other one – that I only heard about – belongs to American troops. In other words; the latter one has a two-year program and they keep the drug addict there in a camp and don’t let them go outside like a prisoner.

At the end, he doesn’t let me to upload his picture in my story.

By Basir Bita

0 comments: